Monday, September 6, 2010

Matthews Alive

I just got back from Matthews Alive - a seemingly small carnival that I thought would be fun and a bit peaceful.

oh my goodness was I wrong.

After driving around the itty bitty town for 12 minutes looking for parking, I finally gave up and parked way down the road at some insurance place (I’m not a fan of parking somewhere where I’ll have to wait a long time to back out). Because I don’t really have a lot of friends in the area, I decided to embark on this adventure by myself. So I grabbed my camera and my ipod and started walking towards the town. First off, the small town I believed only had about 90 inhabitants seemed to explode with people. It was hard to walk anywhere without bumping into people (especially if you’re awkward and socially challenged at times…like me). First, I headed towards the library. Tons of old cars were parked everywhere. An old, creepy man came up to me and offered to buy me one if I would have lunch with him. I declined. Do I look that ignorant?

Shortly after I bumped into the man, I moved on towards the heart of the carnival - the rides. Honestly, I didn’t want to spend any money on cheap carnival rides, so I just walked around for a while while I listened to The Civil Wars playing on my ipod. It’s very strange to walk around these events by yourself. Sometimes, you get so involved in the energy of everything that you forget there are a ton of people around you. Then, there are other times where you almost trip and feel like there are about 15,000 people watching you. It’s quite the experience.

MY FAVORITE PART (other than being asked out by a gross old man) - The music. I love live music…even if I don’t understand the lyrics. The last band to play this weekend was some band from Puerto Rico. Even though I had no idea what they were saying, the beat was fantastic.

Now I’m sitting in starbucks attempting to work on school. My usual study spot (Panera) closed as soon as I got there. It made me extremely sad.

FIN.

1 comment: