Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Never Too Late to Dream

Due to an extreme allergy attack I had after getting home from college weekend in Tulsa, my parents decided it would be good for me to start getting allergy shots twice weekly. Obviously, I wasn't too excited about being poked with needles four times each week, but it really is starting to help me breathe again. However, a part of this experience is that I actually have to go into the doctor's office for a total of about 2 hours each week. As a child, I hardly ever got sick. So spending so much time in a doctor's office is quite a foreign thing. Especially this one certain office.

The doctor's office that I go to mostly deals with elderly people. And when I say mostly, I mean ONLY deals with elderly people. Each day that I walk in, I'm instantly greeted with the stale smell that instantly reminds me of a nursing home I used to visit. Various diabetic/ senior related magazines grace the coffee tables along with one issue of People magazine circa 2006. Strange looks and puzzled faces watch me as I walk to the receptionist (I wish I were imagining this - but I'm not). Usually, I'll say hello, check in, and take a seat. However, today, the receptionist looked at me, paused, and said, "What I would give to be your age again. There's so much I would have done differently." I stood there for a second not sure how to respond. So eventually, I smiled and took a seat (the stares from the elderly still locked on me). For the next few minutes, I thought about what the woman said. Then, a thought occurred to me - is it really ever too late to pursue a dream?

With the exception of a few choice careers (such as being a princess or a NASCAR driver), I didn't see how it would ever be too late to pursue something that you had an immense passion for.

A little while ago, I was reading Habakkuk 2:2-3. It says;

"I will give you my message in the form of a vision. Write it clearly enough to be read at a glance. At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long ime, but keep on waiting -- it will happen!"

So. I'll leave you with this - keep dreaming!

PS. In other news, The Civil Wars album came out today! You can listen to the full album here: http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/2

It's extremely fantastic and has been on repeat in my house all day. Check it.

No comments:

Post a Comment