Sunday, February 20, 2011

"I'm on a Boat!"

Today, I was reminded of a story (or parable) that I loved when I was little.

One time, there was a man who won a month long trip on a cruise line. However, he had very little money, so he decided to bring crackers and cheese as his food. The first few days were good, but the snack began to get old quickly. As the month went on, the man tried to enjoy some of the benefits that the cruise liner had to offer. He laid out by the pool, took in the gorgeous ocean scenery, and even attended a few parties. However, all he had to eat were crackers and cheese - over and over and over. What made things worse was that there was a fantastic restaurant with all glass walls that the man would have to walk past a few times each day. The food looked absolutely delicious. By the end of the trip, the man was GLAD to reach land. As he was walking off of the boat, he struck up a quick conversation with a fellow passenger. At some point in the conversation, the man brought up that he was so happy to get away from the cruise. Puzzled, the other passenger asked him why. The man then went on to talk about the crackers and cheese and how he had been absolutely miserable. The other passenger just looked at him and said, "didn't you know all of the food on the boat was free?".

As christians, we sometimes do the same thing.
Initially, we'll accept Christ in our hearts, but we don't accept everything he has for us!

I'm not sure why this was my favorite story when I was little, or why it stuck with me this long, but I thought I'd share :)

Much love.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! Stumbled onto your blog and have enjoyed reading some of the posts :D Blessings!

    ReplyDelete